Custom kernels in .zip format must be installed using Clockworkmod Recovery. In this guide I will teach you how to install custom kernels on your Samsung Galaxy S2 using CWM Recovery.
If you downloaded a .tar file you have to flash it via ODIN. I prepared a separate installation guide for that which you will find here.
- Rooted device [ How To Root Your SGS2 Using CF-Root - ICS only, sorry]
- At least 60% battery life (just to be safe)
- Clockworkmod Recovery (comes with CF-Root)
- Compatible firmware (compatibility depends on kernel)
- Recommended: Nandroid backup
How To Install Custom Kernels On Your SGS2 Using CWM Recovery
- Download a custom kernel for your SGS2 in .zip format.
- Transfer the downloaded .zip file to your /sdcard
- Turn off your smartphone
- Go to Recovery Mode by pressing Volume Up + Power + Menu
- Select wipe cache partition > Yes - Wipe Cache
- Select advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Select install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > select the .zip from Step 2.
- Wait for the installation to finish.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now